BC Property Transfer Tax (PTT)
Home buyers in BC pay a provincial Property Transfer Tax (PPT) when they buy a home. The tax is charged at a rate of 1% on the first $200,000 of the purchase price and 2% on the remainder, up to a maximum of $475,000.
To be eligible for the exemption, you must be:
- Canadian citizen or resident
- Lived in BC for past 12 consecutive months before purchase of the property OR
- Filed 2 tax returns as a resident in the last 6 years
- Never owned interest in a property anywhere in the world at any time
- Never received this exemption
For existing homes:
- Fair market value must be less than $500,000 on or after February 22, 2017
- Fair market value must be less than $475,000 on or before February 21, 2017
For new homes:
- Unit priced up to $750,000
- Partial exemption for homes priced $750,000 to $800,000
You can save up to $13,000!!!